Born in Stuttgart, Germany, Eugene C. Frank was in his teens when he came to New York in 1861, just as the Civil War broke out. He was hired as an engraver for the Heliographic Engraving Company, which had been founded by Bavarian Frederick W. von Egloffstein, who is considered the father of the half-tone engraving process.
In 1874, Frank began his formal art studies. Among his art teachers were William Hart and A.H. Wyant. Although he set up studios in New York and Pennsylvania, he traveled extensively throughout the world, and became known as a marine and landscape painter. In 1908, he moved to Los Angeles and remained there until his death in Glendale on January 9, 1914.
Frank was a member of the California Art Club, and exhibited at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. He was posthumously awarded a Silver Medal at the 1915 Panama-California Exhibition in San Diego, California.
A number of Frank’s portraits of renowned musicians, vocalists and actors are in the New York Historical Society collection.
Reference: www.rogallery.com, gallery publication